[Xen-devel] pv_ops dom0 and starting domU with vif's / vbd's attached?

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] pv_ops dom0 and starting domU with vif's / vbd's attached?
From: Christophe Saout <christophe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 02:06:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:06:42 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

ok, dom0 support in the latest xen/dom0/hackery seems to be getting into
a real usable state (for those who are lucky to get it booting).

I've been able to start a domU, but unfortunately only without vif and
vbd attached.  If I try that I get a timeout creating the device.

I am wondering where this could be not working.  Both dom0 and domU have
both blk/net backends and frontends enabled (CONFIG_...=y).

xend seems to be telling xenstored everything and then waits for the
devices to come up, but they never do.  I have been strace'ing udevd,
but I don't see any activity here, nor any log entries or anything, also
browsing through /sys doesn't show any devices appearing while waiting
for the hotplug event.  Am I missing something or is this not yet
suppose to work?  (I tried hard to find something on this list, but
didn't)

I don't really understand how the devices are supposed to be created.
It seems that there are xenbus messages changing somesthing and the
xenwatch process is supposed to pick up the changes and trigger the
device creation in blkback/netback, but that's as far as my
understanding goes (or I am even wrong about that).  Any way to debug
this?

Thanks,
        Christophe