[Xen-devel] Re: xen drivers to use virtio?

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: xen drivers to use virtio?
From: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:30:36 -0600
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jun Koi <junkoi2004@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:31:02 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Jun Koi wrote:
If I understand correctly, we are going to rewrite some xen drivers in
Linux kernel to use virtio once virtio is stable. Is that true?

There are no plans to do so.

Actually, they're already there to some degree now that qemu-dm is tracking the upstream QEMU tree. virtio support has been in the QEMU tree for some time now. If it's not enabled in qemu-dm by default, it should be trivial to enable. From Xend's perspective, virtio devices shouldn't be different from either rtl8139, e1000, etc. It's just another PCI device.

This model makes less sense in the context of stub domains, but if you're running qemu-dm in dom0, you may actually get reasonable performance out of the virtio drivers.

In fact, comparing an HVM domain using virtio with qemu-dm in dom0 verses netfront ala PV-on-HVM would make for a very interesting comparison.

And assuming PV-on-HVM isn't in upstream Linux yet (that appears to be the case) and virtio is, it may even be a practical thing to do.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori