Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN

To: Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC] RAS(Part II)--MCA enalbing in XEN
From: Frank van der Linden <Frank.Vanderlinden@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:32:48 -0700
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ke, Liping" <liping.ke@xxxxxxxxx>, Gavin Maltby <Gavin.Maltby@xxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kleen, Andi" <andi.kleen@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:33:22 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Egger wrote:
On Wednesday 25 February 2009 03:25:12 Jiang, Yunhong wrote:

So, Frank/Egger, can I assume followed are consensus currently?

1) MCE is handled by Xen HV totally, while guest's vMCE handler will only
works for itself.
2) Xen present a virtual #MC to guest through MSR access emulation.(Xen will do the translation if needed). 3) Guest's unmodified MCE handler will handle the vMCE injected.
4) Dom0 will get all log/telemetry through hypercall.
5) The action taken by xen will be passed to dom0 through the telemetry
mechanism.

Mostly. Regarding 2) I want like to discuss first how to handle errors
impacting multiple contiguous physical pages which are non-contigous
in guest physical space.

And I also want to discuss about how to do recovery actions requiring
PCI access. One example for this is
Shanghai's "L3 Cache Index Disable"-Feature.
Xen delegates PCI config space to Dom0 and
via PCI passthrough partly to DomU.
That means, if registers in PCI config space are independently
accessable by Xen, Dom0 and/or DomU, they can interfere with each other.
Therefore, we need to
a) clearly define who handles what and
b) define some rules based on a)
c) discuss how to handle Dom0/DomU going wild
    and break the rules defined in b)

I also agree on the approach in principle, but would like to see these points addressed. For non-contiguous pages, I suppose Xen could deliver multiple #vMCEs to the guest, split into contiguous parts. The vmce code seems to be set up to be able to do this.

As for the Shanghai feature: Christoph, are there any documents available on that feature? What kind of errors are delivered (corrected/correctable)?

- Frank