[Xen-devel] Re: [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the uni

To: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:03:28 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 04:03:57 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Simon Horman writes ("[rfc 00/18] ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit
for passthrough"):
> This series starts of with servaral cleanup patches.

Many of these patches are cosmetic or cleanup changes to code which is
identical in upstream qemu and in qemu-xen-unstable.  These are not
really things which I want to commit directly into the Xen tree; we
try to minimise the differences between the Xen qemu and upstream.

If you would like to clean up the upstream qemu code then by all means
submit your changes to the qemu-devel mailing list as patches against
upstream qemu.  I'd be happy to give you some pointers (feel free to
email me privately) and engage with you on the qemu-devel list.  If
your changes are accepted by upstream we'll get them in due course,
when I merge.

If you do consider submitting upstream you might consider lumping your
changes together rather more, so that a single patch covers each set
of similar changes to different files appears.

> The meat of the changes start with the patch
> "ioemu: use devfn instead of slots as the unit for passthrough"

I'd be interested to hear the opinions on this proposal of other
developers of the passthrough support.

Thanks,
Ian.