Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops with xen-3.3

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pv_ops with xen-3.3
From: jonr@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:26:35 -0900
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:26:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks for the run down Mark. During the 'make menuconfig' I saw an option for dom0 support for the kernel, so i was under the impression that support was there. I was just wanting to play around with it and see what happens. :)

OK, this may sound stupid but I gotta ask. :)

If support for dom0 does make it into mainline kernel will there be a need to download xen versions any longer? Will Xen still need to be built against a kernel that already has support for it inside the kernel? If not, how would I tell what version of Xen I am using.

Like I said, that may sound stupid but had to ask.

Jon

Quoting Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi there Jon,

The Xen build process builds a XenLinux using patches in the Xen repository,
which are based on 2.6.18.  This includes full support of all features under
both dom0 and domU.

The mainline Linux kernel has included - for some time - support for running
as a Xen domU through its pv_ops infrastructure.  This support has been
getting full-featured and AFAIK most or all domU functions are now available
using appropriately-built kernel.org kernels.

Support for running as dom0 requires a kernel to support additional features
on top of the standard domU featureset.  Mainline Linux has not had these in
any releases - and as far as I can tell the full dom0 functionality hasn't
been merged into 2.6.29.  I could be wrong about this though, the Xen wiki
states 2.6.29 as a merge goal; if it's not in that release I'd imagine it'd be
in the next one.

So, in summary:

If you want to run a kernel.org kernel as a domU then any recent release will
do.

If you want to run a kernel.org kernel as a dom0 using pv_ops dom0 support
then you may need to seek out and apply additional patches.

If you want to get a kernel.org kernel to run on dom0 out-of-the-box then you
may need to wait for the next release.

You need to get a dom0 kernel from somewhere, so if you're not bothered about
using the latest-and-greatest from kernel.org you can use the one built with
Xen.

Does that make sense?

The upstream merge of Xen functionality into kernel.org has taken years longer than originally anticipated, however the good news is that Jeremy Fitzhardinge has been doing a tremendous job of leading the effort and getting progressively more stuff in a state that is acceptable to the upstream community. Hopefully
in the future kernel.org Linux will have full out-of-the-box support for Xen
and the 2.6.18-based fork will no longer be needed at all.

Cheers,
Mark