Re: [Xen-devel] Xen with dom0 pvops on ultra-recent "git tip" kernel on

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen with dom0 pvops on ultra-recent "git tip" kernel on x86_64
From: Christophe Saout <christophe@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:54:16 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marc - A. Dahlhaus" <mad@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:54:39 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Pasi,

> > Yes, I followed those instruction (or at least I believe I did).  It is
> > however not specific as to which kernel version from the "tip.git" to
> > use as base for applying the patches.  I mean, that is not really my
> > problem, I got everything applied and have a compiling kernel. It just
> > doesn't boot (or at least doesn't get as far as for instance Pasi and
> > his experiments).
> >

> pv_ops dom0 patches are currently for 2.6.28-rc8.

Yes, but it also includes the x86.patch which again applies all sorts of
random newer things from tip.git.  There is always a shitload of patches
coming in, so maybe something broke in there.  Maybe I'll find out what.

There is this file "KERNEL_VERSION" in patches.hg which curresponds to
the git commit id of the "auto-latest" branch from the "tip.git" tree,
so I assumed this was the one the x86.patch is taken from and which
Jeremy was actually using.

> I think and hope Jeremy will update them when he gets back from his vacation
> next week.

Ah, he's on vacation.  He's probably the guy who would know what is
crashing my kernel.

> I think some people have been trying x86-64 too, with similar results than
> me and others on x86-32.

Ok, good to know.

> > I also forward-ported a few things to the latest version a few hours
> > ago, including some changes in xen-iommu.c to follow the dma_ops merging
> > thing in the tip head.
>
> Nice.
>
> I also just noticed there are some new patches in
> http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/
>
> "Fixes for PAE swiotlb with Becky's patches."
>
> Maybe I should try and see if those make any difference.

Yes, already did and it doesn't make a different.  I think something
much more profound is broken in my kernel, something with memory
management during context switches.  As said, I'll try to figure out if
this also happens under DomU, because if it should, I can bisect where
exactly it broke (I am guessing somewhere between the 2.6.28-rc8 +
x86.patch and my version).

> > I managed to get the native XEN port for 2.6.27 from the other hg
> > booting on my notebook, I'll try to see if my pvops kernel works as
> > DomU.
>
> It should :)

That remains to be proven. :-)

Cheers,