RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly -theproblemisbackagai

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] domains not shutting down properly -theproblemisbackagain
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 00:27:36 +1100
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 05:28:28 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > send_guest_global_virq(dom0, VIRQ_DOM_EXC) gets called
> >
> > Then nothing. Nothing in xend.log. What should happen next? Should
the
> > domain get destroyed before the backend stuff gets cleaned up, or is
it
> > the other way around?
>
> I think xenstored should get kicked, run domain_cleanup() and that
should
> cause @releaseDomain watch to fire, which should kick xend into doing
> whatever it does when a domain shuts down. If it is configured to
> 'destroy'
> this domain on domain shutdown then indeed it should tell Xen to run
> domain_kill() and it should notify backends to tear down.

As per a subsequent email, 'send_guest_global_virq(dom0, VIRQ_DOM_EXC)'
never reaches Dom0 (unless xenstored is restarted, then a whole lot of
other stuff doesn't work but the send_guest_global_virq actually does
work).

Debugging in xenstored shows that port 18 was returned from the kernel.

Debugging in xen shows that port 18 is definitely what the hypervisor
allocated.

I added some debugging to the send_guest_global_virq code path too, but
as soon as the DomU I created for testing shut down, my Dom0 became
unresponsive so I suspect I have botched my debug statements. It's
nearly 12:30am here and the server is at work so I'm done for the day.

The most frustrating thing is that I just know it's going to be some
stupid little configuration thing on my server causing all of this!!!

James