Re: [Xen-devel] xm block-attach DomID tap:aio:/...

To: "Wayne Gong" <wayne.gong@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xm block-attach DomID tap:aio:/...
From: "Andrew Lyon" <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:05:10 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 08:05:37 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=Ue2gf88UWIY3mQ9FKlTq4YB+yRdS0XrSDot7o910CfU=; b=wUODBmet0FvHxWtayWwSlKpK/swC9US/JlQRS5GWqcR9dOYOKPswEXyuFA5efwjpB6 7ygCXD5eHZsqT7mXnYkObUK9XnqqdgWdLQt5HgL31GJeemJc6+LjucB8A9Jq/FLWTCQI CRF9lvXslFyUwOttR2R0rBCuGpqJqBwZvZ2Pw=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Wayne Gong <wayne.gong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I meet a problem when developing windows PV drivers for Xen. Now my drivers
> can support adding a 'file' type backend media as a VBD device using 'xm
> block-attach' command. With the same code, 'xm block-attach' a 'tap:aio'
> type backend media cannot works fine on my PV drivers. But if I add a 'file'
> type backend media to windows VM and set set it to 'tap:aio' type, it works
> fine. Since my driver didn't get WHQL digital signature, when adding a new
> device VM, windows will pops up a 'Find new hardware' dialog to install
> drivers for it even there is a device object represents for it. When
> installing driver for new storage class device, windows PnP manager will
> remove the device object and add a new one represents for the new device. In
> this progress, I will set device backend state to
> XenbusStateClosing->XenbusStateClosed ->XenbusStateInitWait and then
> reinitialize the device. If it's a 'file' type, all these progress works
> fine, but it's a 'type:aio' type, my drivers cannot get any response from
> ring buffer for Read/Write scsi command.
>
> So does anybody can give me some brief guide on difference between 'file'
> type and 'tap:aio' type as a backend media for a frontend PV drivers? And I
> want to confirm that a 'tap:aio' type backend can work well when backend
> state changed as XenbusStateInitWait->XenbusStateConnected->
> XenbusStateClosing->XenbusStateClosed
> ->XenbusStateInitWait->XenbusStateConnected. I know that a 'file' type
> backend is Yes, I think 'tap:aio' type is Yes either, just want to conform.
>
> James, any suggestion?

Why don't you help James to improve his drivers instead of writing yet
another closed source set of drivers? it seems a bit rude to ask for
help with your closed source drivers from the only developer of gpl
drivers.

Closed source drivers are available from xensource, novell/suse,
halsign, and now oracle as well?

It seems like such a waste of effort, especially as James's gplpv
drivers are already very good and in time will probably outperform all
of the closed source drivers.

Andy