Re: [Xen-devel] guest attempted write to read-only memory page.

To: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] guest attempted write to read-only memory page.
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:11:27 +0000
Cc: 'Akio Takebe' <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:11:32 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 22/12/2008 14:21, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Yes, I can repro the warnings. They are due to the vm86 acceleration
>> changes.
>>

> I saw you removed the warning in latest tree, but sorry that I'm still
> a bit confused about logic here. Could you help clarify the underlying
> story to me? :-) Why is such write attempt legitimate? Is the emulation
> a dummy nop or actually emulated?

The write is thrown away, and the instruction is skipped. Etherboot can
handle these write attempts failing (obviously, since it could really be
executed out of ROM). It attempts them just to set up some version info
strings, I think -- nothing at all important.

 -- Keir