[Xen-devel] xenbus message id's

To: "List: Xen Developers" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xenbus message id's
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:50:24 +1100
Delivery-date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:50:49 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Looking through the xenbus code in the linux kernel, it seems that only
one outstanding request is allowed at a time (via a mutex), so there is
no code that uses the 'id' field in any way.

Under mini-os though, it seems like we can have a number of requests on
the fly at the same time (more complex code). This is the code I based
gplpv on.

Can anyone comment on why that is so? I'm trying to implement the xenbus
kernel<->userspace interface and was wondering why the id of the request
is accepted verbatim from userspace, but I guess if only one outstanding
request at a time is allowed then it's not a problem.

Unless there is a good reason to allow multiple outstanding requests,
I'll change the xenbus code in GPLPV to be more like the linux version
as it looks quite a bit simpler. xenbus is hardly a performance
sensitive interface...

Thanks

James