Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, Windows 2003 and APIC

To: Gary Pennington <gary.pennington@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <et-mgmt-tools@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, Windows 2003 and APIC
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 14:45:39 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 06:46:00 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 05/12/2008 14:03, "Gary Pennington" <Gary.Pennington@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> My next question is: What is really happening when APIC is specified for
> a windows guest and why does performance vary so much according to whether
> it's specified or not?

Older Windows kernels update the APIC TPR a lot, and unless you have a very
modern Intel processor every one of those TPR updates causes a vmexit.

Modern Windows (including possibly latest w2k3 service pack, but I'm not
totally certain) includes lazy TPR, which gets rid of the vast majority of
TPR updates, and hence will go much faster.

 -- Keir