Re: RE: RE: [Xen-devel] when timer go back in dom0 save and restore ormi

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Xen-devel] when timer go back in dom0 save and restore ormigrate, PV domain hung
From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:51:56 -0800
Cc: kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, James Song <jsong@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:52:19 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
Might this be a pv_ops bug in newer Linux kernels? I don’t really get what you’re describing though.

 -- Keir

On 27/11/08 10:21, "James Song" <jsong@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi,
         Ok, now two machine A and B. the system-time of A is ahead of
    B. So wc_sec of A is also bigger than B. When PV dom in A migrate
    to B, we haven't upate that PV dom's wc_sec to equal with B. Ok,
    now we see pv dom's kernel:
        xen_sched_clock() in arch/86/xen/time.c
    andxen_clocksource_read()  arch/x86/kernel/time_32-xen.c
      you will find if state_entry_time of its's vcpu, because the
    state_entry_time is initalized in machine A. this time it more big
    than "now" of machine B. So no schedule, no system-update in Guest os.
    I don't whether did I describe it clearly.

At one point I had some code in there to work out the delta between the system timestamps before and after save/restore, but I think I ended up deciding it wasn't necessary because the clocksource and clockevents get reinitialized from scratch by the core clock code on resume.

I don't understand your mention of wc_sec, since the wallclock only used very occasionally, and never for scheduling.

If this is in relation to the Novell forward-port kernel, perhaps you should look at what the mainline pvops xen code in this area.