RE: [Xen-devel] FW: megaraid sas driver failing in Xen-3.4 unstableversi

To: "Manyam, Ramesh" <Ramesh.Manyam@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] FW: megaraid sas driver failing in Xen-3.4 unstableversion
From: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:49:03 -0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 00:49:35 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Xen-3.4 (unstable version), I have created CentOS HVM guest & WS2K8
> HVM guest and dedicated MegaRAID SAS controller but I am not able to
> see the disk which is connected to MegaRAID SAS controller when I do
> fdisk -l (vtd support is enabled in Xen).
>
> "dmesg" of HVM CentOS
>
> megasas: Failed to init firmware

Some devices have drivers/firmware that are not 'virtualization
friendly'. For example, they may require that the guest-visible BARs
match the real machine BARs. A common cause of this is drivers that read
the configured BARs via the device exporting them by a private MMIO
interface rather than from the PCI config space, thus they can't be
re-virtualized by Xen and hence the driver sees incorrect values.

Adding debug code to the linux driver is probably the best way to
proceed, or try contacting the LSI driver author.

Ian