Re: [Xen-devel] VM System Calls

To: "Frederic Beck" <frederic.beck@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] VM System Calls
From: "George Dunlap" <dunlapg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:32:13 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:32:36 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=sH13EcWEJpX/jTOUgHsqw+mxiZB9DgtmyuHzOyRMvZg=; b=KKlQus5L85SGztPaTD+QaZFZc5UQSRQdjk/y+MM3KjFcz2FjoUltQrg6qQopoAsbIe dupC7m90oKAc7/PJITxuPnNFkc/q52a3T+p5j6oAo8LXatrGfDJQaOYLPZU9Kw5oVcSr xI8kUGd+HUd2jSZoxMdx362b3AeG+kv1sHC6w=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=axpGXkoNoDtC8zty8cjye12wBrJ9GPphdaxneyEqRJ3jV7uXhl/kpWyiM24PgGAcmT e22omGx50q6h0FArxWtM83oW9PiR6cYJp+BChknPR3nR/OGcy2gOTcGNskkIfjfFi++2 OX/EA1dDekKXT0aYwnTPEvBIjzjajMsRhjcck=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you're not averse to modifying the hypervisor, you should be able
to arrange to get what you want.

For 32-bit guests, we allow the system call to trap directly from
userspace into the PV kernel.  But that's actually an optimization; it
used to be the case that if you disable that direct-trap, then it will
trap to Xen, and Xen will forward it on to the PV kernel.  This will
make guest system calls slightly more expensive, but it will allow you
to add the tracing / instrumentation you want.

Yes, it looks like if you comment out the following line in
xen/arch/x86/traps.c:do_set_trap_table():
       if ( cur.vector == 0x80 )
            init_int80_direct_trap(curr);

Then all guest traps, including system call, will go through
traps.c:do_guest_trap(), which already traces the trap number.  If you
want more information, you can add more trace info there.

 -George