Re: [Xen-devel] xen 3.3.0 pv pci passthrough co-assigned problem

To: "Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen 3.3.0 pv pci passthrough co-assigned problem
From: Stefan Neuwirth <stefan-neuwirth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:22:23 +0200
Cc: stefan-neuwirth@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 03:21:58 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dexuan,

"Cui, Dexuan" <dexuan.cui@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Stefan, I think you mean you don't specify the "iommu" parameter
> at all in Xen grub entry (so VT-d is not turned on by default) and
> then you try to create a PV guest with "pci=['xx:xx.x']" specified
> in the PV guest config file and you meet with the "co-assignment
> issue". Correct?

yes. I fact xen tells me vt-d is disabled:

(XEN) Brought up 8 CPUs
(XEN) I/O virtualisation disabled
(XEN) *** LOADING DOMAIN 0 ***

> I didn't test the traditional PV-only PCI passthrough.  We only
> specify a string "pci=['xx:xx.x']" in pv guest config file. How can
> Xend tell whether we're using the traditional PCI passthrough or the
> VT-d passthrough? Judging by the "iommu=pv or no-pv" xen parameter?
> I'm not sure about that for now...

No, I don't think the xen iommu parameter is the right flag to judge
this. For example I can think of a setup where I wan't to run PV and
HVM guests on the same dom0, both using PCI passthrough.

Doesn't the xend know if he starts a PV or a HVM guest? For example
the option 'builder' or 'kernel' in the guest's config file should
tell him. This assumes that vt-d passthrough is not possible with
traditional PV - is it?

Another way would be the use of traditional PCI passthrough if vt-d is
disabled.

And last but not least let the user/admin do the choice by an new
parameter in the config file of the guest. In fact I'm using PCI
passthrough to divide subfunctions of a single pci board to diffrent
guests (e.g. quad ethernet card).

Is there a quick hack to get back the old behaviour for now?

  Stefan