Re: [Xen-devel] Sources of page dirtying for HVM domains in Xen 3.2.x

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Sources of page dirtying for HVM domains in Xen 3.2.x
From: "Mike Sun" <msun@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 06:06:17 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 06:06:40 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender :to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=O+jtcUBnLxkeWRzCDggyitFLppDISRlFnjVT6Z05kTw=; b=qzJ4P+G+kBLoJHnyy7fNlzXVaF0/jVzmCk9NYSRX54YCMs6uXirVuDfceubRc0kfSV mBOBhEYI4Orsey/FQd9HB1TwLJ8xbzGvKS9zHTytW7cUOHDXuW2OjUlFaM+a0QpXqlgS jc4I/WNMFA5S9f9Y0j2O3na3NWt6Ps1f8epGI=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition :references:x-google-sender-auth; b=JNulQkU0cT9KFrw5km3BrbGejZK4Fa737Hkcar/9ZwdVCdcc+s9Q9A8Nc3VGtjWKH5 FVyjpnbyujNYD4vRpVXxL78jlBR0q2TbWe9eOVnpdRAsBn9zvrkYiLgXwf3/L37rlziS g1Axx/uli8eYm94Wg8VkxU+jZUOWVDwyJGg28=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Argh.  Forgot to reply to the list.  Sorry about that Ian.

> Within page fault handling you've also got to consider the special cases
> of MMIO, PTE accessed/dirty bit update.

And the emulated writes to guest PTs as well, correct?

One confusing thing is that it seems that since _sh_propagate() is
called before the emulated write or MMIO write that the page_dirty()
would already be called and that the page_dirty() called after the
emulated write is redundant?  I'm probably missing something though.

> Qemu-dm emulated DMA, PV driver DMA.

Any way I can have Qemu not do DMA?

Essentially I'm looking for a clean way of doing a copy-on-write on a
guest domain's memory pages.  The log-dirty mode seems most
appropriate, but I have to make sure I can copy the page before it's
dirtied/modified.  Have any good suggestions.