Re: [Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice

To: Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Almost working iSCSI booting, need advice
From: jpranevich@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:54:22 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

Without these changes, or at least similar changes, I was never getting the
hotplug scripts called in my config. Maybe it's because I'm using pygrub. Maybe
it's some other reason. I traced the offending code to bootloader:

./tools/python/xen/xend/XendBootloader.py:

def bootloader(blexec, disk, dom, quiet = False, blargs = '', kernel = '',
               ramdisk = '', kernel_args = ''):

    if not os.access(blexec, os.X_OK):
        msg = "Bootloader isn't executable"
        log.error(msg)
        raise VmError(msg)
    if not os.access(disk, os.R_OK):
        msg = "Disk isn't accessible"
        log.error(msg)
        raise VmError(msg)

In this case, "disk" was set to the IQN and not a real file, so the second
check always failed. I could also show that at this point, the block-* scripts
hadn't been called yet, so no real device existed to give it.

I backtracked further into the code and looked at how the SuSE patches worked.
In that case, the SuSE version of the code also made changes to
_configureBootloader() to create the VBD early so that it could pass a valid
disk name in the bootloader() call. It also added a bunch of other things which
they found it necessary to add for domUloader support, which I don't believe is
relevant to what I'm doing now. I admit to not understanding everything they
were doing.

If you tell me where in the python code the hotplug scripts are supposed to get
called from, I'll add copious debugging around that point in stock Xen to see
what it's doing in my configuration and report back or provide a fix.

There are no problems with your block-iscsi scripts. Those are perfectly fine.
They need tweaked a bit because the kernel maintainers keep changing the format
and layout of /sys between versions, but it should be a simple matter to select
the right file location. (It seems to be one of two.) I was going to send you a
patch to do this once I got further along.

Joe