[Xen-devel] Memory allocation in NUMA system

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Memory allocation in NUMA system
From: "Yang, Xiaowei" <xiaowei.yang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:34:11 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 20:34:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Currently, when alloc_domheap_pages() is called with no range specified
(which is the case for allocating domain memory during its creation), it
uses such priority to allocate memory:
1) current node, > DMA range (2^dma_bitsize = 4G).
2) other nodes, > DMA range
3) current node, all range
4) other nodes, all range

Let's say we have a 2-node system, with node0 and node1's memory range being 0-0xc0000000 (<4G) and 0x100000000-0x1c0000000 (>4G) respectively. In that case, node1's memory is always preferred for domain memory allocation, no matter which node the created domain is pinned to. It results in performance penalty.

One possible fix is to specify all range for the domain memory allocation, which means local memory is preferred. This change may be restricted only to the domain pinned to one node for less impact.

One side effect is that the DMA memory size may be smaller, which makes device domain unhappy. This can be addressed by reserving node0 to be used lastly.

Comments?

Thanks,
Xiaowei