Re: [Xen-devel] Priority for SMP VMs

Those are certainly unexpected results. :-) Hmm... I'll take a quick look sometime this week or next. I have some internal patches that add tracing to runstate changes, and an internal tool that's not really ready for release yet that can do all sorts of fun analysis... let me know if you want the patches. (I'll probably try to get the patches in after the freeze is up.)

 -George

Gabriel Southern wrote:
Hi George,

Thanks for your comments.  I understand that the scheduler has to
balance a variety of different VM activity and I am only testing one
very limited aspect of it.  I tried running the test you suggested
using just "while(1) ;" loops and making sure I had enough threads
running so that each VM could use all the CPU time it had available.
The CPU time allocation was basically the same as what I described
earlier:

1-VCPU VM 12.28%
2-VCPU VM 9.26%
3-VCPU VM 11.55%
4-VCPU VM 12.79%
5-VCPU VM 13.32%
6-VCPU VM 13.50%
7-VCPU VM 13.60%
8-VCPU VM 13.71%

I also tried running a test with 8 VM where 7-VMs had 8-VCPUs and 1 VM
had 1-VCPU.  Each VM was running 8 threads of the "while (1) ;" loops
to make sure it was trying to use all the CPU time it could get.  In
this case each of the 8-VCPU VMs received around 12.96% of CPU time
and the 1-VCPU VM received 9.27%.

I have a basic idea about how the credit scheduler works, but not good
enough to understand exactly why I am seeing this behavior.  I'm
guessing it has to do with the VMs that have more VCPUs getting extra
opportunities to run simply because they have more entries in the
runq.

I'd be curious if anyone else is able to verify the behavior I've
described.  Also if anyone who has a better understanding of how the
credit scheduler has a better idea of why I'm observing this behavior
I'd be interested to hear that as well.  Obviously I don't think this
is a high priority problem, but it might be something that is useful
to be aware of.  I also admit that I could be observing this behavior
due to some sort of user error on my part, rather than there being any
problem with the credit scheduler.

Thanks,

Gabriel

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 7:07 AM, George Dunlap