Re: [Xen-devel] HVM direct boot broken in xen-unstable

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVM direct boot broken in xen-unstable
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:46:17 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Byrne, John \(HP Labs\)" <john.l.byrne@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:46:52 -0700
Newsgroups: chiark.mail.xen.devel
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daniel P. Berrange writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] HVM direct boot broken in
xen-unstable"):
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:52:07AM +0000, Byrne, John (HP Labs) wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On x86_64, changeset 18081, running/building on rhel5, trying to use
> > the HVM direct boot causes the domain to reboot immediately and then
> > the log says the domain is restarting too rapidly. No obvious hints
> > as to where the problem is. If I build the in-tree ioemu code, things
> > work. Any clues as to where to look or how to get some useful debugging
> > output?

Byrne, could you send me a copy of your config file so I can reproduce
this ?  Also, some idea of how you made (or how you obtained) the
kernel image and initramfs.  I don't think I've ever done a direct
kernel boot using this code (which is in patches supplied by Daniel)
and offhand I can't seem to find the documentation.

> It appears the code is missing from the external ioemu code. The original
> changesets for HVM kernel boot were

I've looked at the code and these changes are ones I did attempt to
port across to the new qemu.  You'll see for example that the `evil
helper' is still there, just slightly further down the file in pc.c.

I haven't ever executed the resulting codepaths and evidently I broke
something, which is not all that surprising.

Thanks for reporting the bug.  I look forward to fixing it :-).

Ian.