RE: [Xen-devel] Guest TSC and Xen (Intel and AMD feedback please)

To: <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Guest TSC and Xen (Intel and AMD feedback please)
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:56:58 +0800
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:57:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are right. Xen only sync TSCs at boot time and then calibrate
TSC pace independently on each cpu. If some factors drag TSC
in the middle, then we may observe larger drift. But now I'm not
sure whether periodically sync among cpus is light enough, if taking
a similar convergence algothrim as boot time. But still, if only TSC
drift exists (caused by occasional events instead of a constantly
increasing drift from freq difference), this monotonic can be easily
exposed to the guest, like derived from xen system time to adjust
TSC offset at migration...

>> >Another alternative would be to trap all rdtsc's and emulate
>> >them but this probably will not be easy and may have
>> >significant performance implications.  But perhaps it should
>> >be an option?
>>
>> Agree.
>
>Is this something that you (or Intel in general) could look at?
>I would be happy to participate but I don't think I understand
>VT well enough.  Once the trap occurs, I suppose Xen system time
>could be used as the virtual TSC, possibly scaled up.

There should be tiny related to VT, as only turning on some bit to
allow RDTSC trapping and then the rest stuff should be common
how to handle it. We'll take a look, but can't commit the time due
to other scheduled bandwidth. But if you'd like to jump in early
we definitely can help with VT side.

Thanks,
Kevin