Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation

To: "dinesh chandrasekaran" <dinesh_chan8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Guest memory allocation
From: "Derek Murray" <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:56:30 +0100
Cc: xen developers community <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen users community <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 01:56:53 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references :x-google-sender-auth; bh=dVHwaQUbwSYy8VzMjTuc935srpvrBvHk5EVc3VXaW2A=; b=KuBF1lUqEVtPzUBdgqnCtgSp2kPZPE8EJZHDR3P951YMErJErkqBXUrRcKOr31eCMU /O5rzoUakT10etEFuCXzoBbiouuSjaNFWQCyPLbtT+vz9YK4f7/xwLcjjhzMX5bXlH9Q YbrE1CxObU8+Y4xebtad0ulxU8H66Nygefn/E=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:reply-to:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to :mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=NxeuevZBgNgLVgP/H+IFFD9xI6T9PJPg+l9ZSQJuzq27LCww/akjJhfNxoRFz7Jfd5 aGw4e1Ta2gQvTou5MrXpZiZs7WkABK6HXvbRfxGZmiPB0jS8ugVs6rBzJV78yFPLP59D gfdexySVbdfv7idFMWhI/Rho6ieyK+yPzSwmU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dinesh,

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM, dinesh chandrasekaran
<dinesh_chan8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The domain builder inside dom0 calls populate_physmap(),
> allocates pages for domUs,
> and computes the following START_INFO_PAGE attributes
>                   pt_base, mfn_list and nr_pt_frames.
>
> But the source says, all the above attributes are VIRTUAL ADDRESSES
> and on the contrary the book, 'The defenitive guide for XEN hypervisor' says
> they are pseudo-physical addresses.
>
> I know these two are different. But I'm still not clear,
> Could you help me better understand the difference?

The comment in the xen.h that refers to virtual addresses means that
these pt_base and mfn_list contain pointers (in the virtual address
space) to the bootstrap page table and list of MFNs (machine frame
numbers, corresponding to the real (host) physical addresses). When a
paravirtualised domain is created, it is already in protected mode
with paging enabled, and the domain builder creates a bootstrap page
table for it to use (so that it can address the kernel, modules and
other virtualisation-related data structures).

I don't have a copy of that book, but I assume what it means is that
the array mfn_list is *indexed* by pseudo-physical frame numbers (i.e.
one for each frame of physical memory allocated to the guest,
contiguously numbered and starting from zero).

Regards,

Derek.