Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Add a new reboot method

To: "Chen, Huacai" <huacai.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [patch]Add a new reboot method
From: Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:26:45 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 May 2008 03:41:07 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> New chipsets support a new reboot method by writing port 0xcf9,

Some new chipsets. What 0xcf9 does to others is undefined.

> sometimes this is more efficient than "keyboard controller reboot" and
> "triple fault reboot". This patch add this new method and use it as a
> preferable one.

Who cares ?

Since when has the number of microseconds per reboot been remotely
relevant. It simply isn't a performance critical path. Besides which you
properly need to use the ACPI power off method on a newer chipset anyway.

(And I would note if Intel really thought power off efficiency was
important then they wouldn't have invented ACPI...)

Alan