[Xen-devel] Debugging the hypervisor

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Debugging the hypervisor
From: Matthew Donovan <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:10:02 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 May 2008 08:03:51 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to debug the Xen hypervisor from a second computer over the
serial port, but nothing seems to work.  Using mercurial, I got
xen-3.2-testing.hg.  I followed the steps in crashdb.txt in the docs/misc/
folder:
        set debug=y in Config.mk, crash_debug=y in xen/Rules.mk

I also added -fno-omit-frame-pointer to these file as well.

I compiled with no errors and booted with minicom connected to the
workstation via com1 but when I do Ctrl-A three times to connect, nothing
happens.  The debuggee boots find and gives me the login screen as normal.
Is there a special time to hit the Ctrl-A in minicom?  Should the kernel
wait for a connection from gdb?

I've tried various combinations of using nsplitd and a serial-split patch I
found mentioned on mailing lists and setting the boot flags to com=1H and
com=1.  Nothing seems to work.

Is the gdb stub working with this version of the code?

I have checked the serial connection by connecting minicom to the port and
from the remote machine doing the command "echo test > /dev/ttyS0" and I
receive the text.  I have minicom set for 9600 8n1 and I use the same boot
flags set in the grub config file.

What am I missing?

Thanks
-matthew