Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel

To: Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Compiling 2.6.24 Dom0 Kernel
From: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:42:43 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Heiko Rehder <heiko.rehder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 May 2008 08:43:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 15:52 +0100, Nick Craig-Wood wrote:
> Heiko Rehder <heiko.rehder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  I'm new to the list and I like to create a Xen Dom0 kernel with 2.6.24
> >  kernel-sources, because I need the drivers of that kernel version.
>
> We are in the same situation - 2.6.18 doesn't support the latest
> hardware we are getting in.
>
> >  I downloaded the Xen 3.2 Soruces tar.gz and tried to compile, but that
> >  failed.
> >
> >  I think that only do "make world" will build an 2.6.18 Kernel but I
> >  couldn't check that yet. So I think I need to connect the Xen sources
> >  somehow to my recent kernel sources.
>
> The way I've done this is the past is to do
>
>   make mkpatches
>
> In the xen source tree.  This produces linux-2.6-xen.patch which you
> can then apply to the kernel tree of your choice.
>
> However the kernel has moved on since 2.6.18 and bits of Xen have gone
> upstream so that patch no longer applies to current kernels.
>
> Some distributions (eg Fedora and Debian) seem to have Xen enabled
> kernels for recent kernel versions, but I don't know how they got made
> - I'd be interested to learn!

Those kernels are currently domU (and 32 bit) only. Dom0 support for the
paravirt kernels is being worked on by the Fedora guys for F10
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=linux-2.6-dom0-pvops.git;a=summary
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0

Ian.