[Xen-devel] multiplexing event measurement

To: oprofile-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] multiplexing event measurement
From: Muhammad Atif <m_atif_s@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:24:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear users/developers
Forgive me for asking a basic question. Is there a way to efficiently multiplex hardware events in oprofile? I have AMD opterons and I want to profile certain MPI applications for various hardware events. Now my system only supports 4 events, and to get more counters in one run, I have to do tedious work of stop, kill, set events, start the oprofiled with opcontrol. This is time consuming job and we end up loosing useful information.
As we need to do some anlysis on Xen guests, therefore we cannot make use of PAPI etc, which support multiplexed event measurement.

Best Regards,
Muhammad Atif