Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] i386: Remove non-PAE

To: John Levon <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] [xen-unstable] i386: Remove non-PAE hypervisor build target.
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 21:04:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:04:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/5/08 20:05, "John Levon" <levon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:50:18AM -0700, Xen patchbot-unstable wrote:
>
>> i386: Remove non-PAE hypervisor build target.
>
> Can you explain this a bit further?

It hasn't been regularly tested for some time, it is not shipped by any
vendor afaik, and all guest ports with a significant ongoing development
effort behind them now support PAE and/or 64-bit modes. Further, a test of
the waters on xen-devel back in March did not elicit much of a response in
support of non-pae. Removing it gets rid of a column on the test matrix (a
column which isn't tested by anyone anyway) and goes some way to reduce our
ifdef maze in many memory-management source files.

 -- Keir