RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3

Ian Pratt writes ("RE: [Xen-devel] [Patch 4/4]: Xend interface for HVM S3"):
> Guest S3 is also useful in the context of PCI device passthrough, where
> its necessary to get the device into a safe state.

S3 doesn't involve writing a memory image to disk; it's `suspend to
RAM' - more like xm pause than xm save.  S4 is suspend to disk, like
xm save.

xm pause is certainly a lot simpler than the full-on ACPI S3 support.
I think the latter is, as Ian says, mainly useful when the guest has
direct access to hardware devices.  If you want to put the physical
machine into S3 or S4 then you need cooperation from all the domains
which own the hardware.

Ian.