Re: [Xen-devel] Time went backwards errors booting unstable cs 17557with

To: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Time went backwards errors booting unstable cs 17557with 64GB memory
From: Bill Burns <bburns@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 13:31:39 -0400
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 May 2008 10:32:08 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Carb, Brian A wrote:

> Setting clocksource=pit removes the errors and allows a clean boot, as
> does setting dom0_mem=4096M.  What are the implications of running with
> a different clocksource?

Good question. What appears to be happening is that the
initial calibration is bad. If dom0 is started before
a second calibration occurs it's gets the speed of CPU0
wrong and bad things happen. Delaying the start of
dom0 by giving the hypervisor more memory to scrub allows
for a second calibration. Why PIT works I really don't
know.

The suspicion is that somehow the calibration code
has an issue when there is a long outage, as in starting
up a bunch of other CPUs, before the first calibration.
But that is just a guess at this point. There is a bug
there that needs to be fixed.

 Bill