[Xen-devel] incompatibility of netfront driver with bonding module

To: Masroor Vettuparambil <Masroor.Vettuparambil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] incompatibility of netfront driver with bonding module
From: Yosuke Iwamatsu <y-iwamatsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 15:29:32 +0900
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:30:01 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Masroor Vettuparambil wrote:
1. Normally, bonding will inherit the mac from the first slave and assign it to all the other slaves added later. So the mac of vif will be updated. But during migration, the mac of vif is getting updated from xenstore(/vm/). So how about having a set_mac_address entry in netfront that update the xenstore?

So I need help, especially on #1. Is it ok to update the xenstore /vm/ keys from domU? how to do this?

I tried a bit to find out the way to update /vm/ keys from frontend,
but didn't succeed. Either way, I don't think it is a good idea to
update the xenstore key of the vif mac address, because the original
mac will be lost and we won't be able to reset it e.g. after the guest
reboot.

So the attached patch adds set mac_address() support to netfront.
It doesn't touch xenstore at all, but just preserves the modified mac
address in netfront_info structure and keeps using it after migration.

Thanks,