[Xen-devel] VT-d ACPI table weirdness

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] VT-d ACPI table weirdness
From: Espen Skoglund <espen.skoglund@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:18:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:19:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I was enabling VT-d in Xen and noticed that there is some weirdness in
the associated ACPI tables.  This is on a Dell T7400 (Seaburg based).

Basically, the Device Scope structures in the DRHD tables do not seem
to be initialized according to specs.  More precisely, the 'Path'
field of the structure contains the device and functions numbers, but
the device part is left-shifted by three bits (i.e., multiplied by 8).
This causes incorrect devices to be identified.

The device scope structure for the RMRR tables, on the other hand, do
get properly initialized according the the VT-d specs.  I'm not aware
of anyone else having VT-d support, so I'm asking the question here
hoping that someone with some more inside knowledge can enlighten me:
Have anyone else experienced similar problems?  Are there any updates
to the September 2007 (Rev 1.1) spec that I am not aware of?

        eSk