Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch][0/2]implement dump_execution_state() on ia64

To: Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-ia64-devel <xen-ia64-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Patch][0/2]implement dump_execution_state() on ia64
From: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 17:04:58 +0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:06:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 27/3/08 16:56, "Akio Takebe" <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Can you carefully explain why the interface changes are required?
>>
> IA64 needs unwind infomation to show the Calltrace.
> To make the unwind infomation, we needs switch stack and pt_regs.
> So if possible, I want to use pt_regs at geting a interrupt.
>
> I make many interface change because debug-key use IPI.
> But I just want to use pt_regs.

There is already a function which does what you want (i.e., takes a
cpu_user_regs pointer) -- it's called show_execution_state().

On x86 we implement dump_execution_state() by forcing an exception (by
executing an invalid opcode) and dumping the calltrace from within the
exception handler. This works because the exception handler has a
cpu_user_regs pointer and hence can call show_execution_state(). We use the
same trick for handling BUG() and ASSERT(). The code concerned is in
arch/x86/traps.c:do_invalid_op().

Can a similar thing be done on ia64?

 -- Keir