Re: [Xen-devel] Does XEN use TUN/TAP interface?

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Does XEN use TUN/TAP interface?
From: Daniel Stodden <stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:21:51 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pavel Muller <pav.muller@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:22:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 17:12 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:50:19PM +0100, Daniel Stodden wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 15:52 +0100, Pavel Muller wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > I want to ask if XEN use TUP/TAP interfaces or use other interface?
> >
> > No. TUN/TAP is typically used for hosted VMs. Broadly speaking, it's
> > only useful if a significant part of the VMM is running in user mode on
> > top of a native Linux, as is the case with VMware Workstation,
> > VirtualBox, UserModeLinux etc.
> >
> > Xen is a hypervisor, running below all OSes on bare hardware. The
> > network virtualization is based on a Linux OS (dom0), but the guests
> > aren't running on top of that, but rather as siblings on a common
> > virtualization layer.
>
> Whether it is a separate hypervisor / Dom0, or a combined HV+Dom0 is not
> really relevant to this question. In both cases the driver backends are
> in the Linux host OS and not the hypervisor itself.

Using TUN/TAP is absolutely pointless if the peer is not running in
userland. Because connecting userspace to a network interface is the
whole point there.

And this is why the VMM type matters to answer the question.

> > There's a dedicated interface class (vifN.M) in dom0. The purpose is
> > similar, but the interplay with guests is quite a different one.
>
> This is correct for paravirt guest or PV drivers, but is wrong for fullvirt.
> The QEMU device model used for fullvirt guests *does* use TUN/TAP devices
> as the backend for its emulated ne2k/rtl8139 NICs.

Oh, I did not think about HVM, you're right. But that is a special case
which is different from most other solutions out there.

regards,
daniel

--
Daniel Stodden
LRR     -      Lehrstuhl für Rechnertechnik und Rechnerorganisation