[Xen-devel] xm dump-core and an XP HVM

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xm dump-core and an XP HVM
From: "Ryan Persaud" <ryan.persaud@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:43:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:43:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am interested in obtaining a raw physical dump of memory from a running Windows XP HVM.  I am running Xen 3.1, and the dump-core tool produces an ELF formatted file.  To produce a raw dump, I commented out all of the portions of xc_domain_dumpcore_via_callback in xc_core.c that write to the dump file besides the one labeled "dump pages: .xen_pages".  I doublechecked that this portion of code was the only one inserting data into the dump file, by searching for calls to 'dump_rtn'  (the function that actually dumps data to a file).

The dumps produced by my modified code still seem to contain extraneous data.  For example, I generated a dump from within the running XP HVM, and it contained 131065 pages, but a dump generated by Xen contained 133089 pages.  I have a tool that can analyze raw XP dump files and locate kernel structures.  The tool runs successfully on the dump generated in XP, but errors out on the Xen dump.  Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing the extraneous data in my dumps?

Thanks,
-Ryan