Re: [Xen-devel] blkif.h in sparse tree

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] blkif.h in sparse tree
From: Gary Pennington <Gary.Pennington@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:31:32 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 03:26:29 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:42:15AM +0000, Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 19/2/08 10:05, "Gary Pennington" <Gary.Pennington@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm puzzled as to why:
> >
> > linux-2.6-xen-sparse/include/xen/blkif.h
> >
> > includes functionality which looks as though it should be common to all
> > OS implementations.
>
> It's just glue, and uses gcc-specific pragmas which are not portable across
> compilers. We could stick a BSD license string at the top of the header.

The pragmas which aren't portable could be protected by appropriate macros
and it would be the responsibility of anyone using non-gcc compilers to
provide appropriate support for their environment.

I appreciate that it's not terribly significant, but anyone who needs
to provide support for a 32 bit PV guest on a 64 bit host would
need code remarkably similar to this and so I don't think it's Linux
specific. That's why I suggested re-locating it because it might make
life simpler for other developers in the future.

If it's really not a good idea to re-locate it, then I think a BSD license
would be an acceptable substitute for my purposes.

Thanks,

Gary