[Xen-devel] Re: Dom0 pvops kernel booting: release dom0-2.6.24-B0

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: Dom0 pvops kernel booting: release dom0-2.6.24-B0
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:57:08 +0000
Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mark McLoughlin <markmc@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Stephen Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, Juan Quintela <quintela@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:57:44 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 15:47 +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> I've substantially cleaned up the Xen contiguous region handling and the
> pfn/mfn translations in the dma mapping layer, and rebased everything
> cleanly on top of v2.6.24.  The resulting patch queue can be viewed as
> tag "dom0-2.6.24-B0" on the dom0-pvops git tree
> Support for the dom0 xend userland is still missing, and there is no
> swiotlb yet; but the dom0 kernel boots successfully on a HV and I've had
> a best uptime of nearly an hour so far.

Just to add to that status: all the normal kernel device drivers I've
tried seem to be working with this release --- usb, network and disk.  X
is still known NOT to work, but that's not top priority to deal with.

Next steps include:

      * Making sure domU runs correctly with the same kernel
      * Cleaning up the apic handling to be pvops-friendly, so the same
        kernel also boots on baremetal (all the code except for apic
        should be OK already)
      * Adding the necessary /dev and /proc support for xend
      * Tracking 2.6.25-pre

At some point we'll also want to start tracking the xen-64 bit work,
too.

--Stephen