Re: [Xen-devel] Debian kernel doesn't support DomU bit width != Dom0 bit

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Debian kernel doesn't support DomU bit width != Dom0 bit width for PV drivers?
From: Ralph Passgang <rp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 23:48:30 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 02:41:21 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 01.02.08 23:40, "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> My suspicion then is that the Debian kernel's blkback driver doesn't
> pay
>>> attention to the 'protocol' set by the frontend, even though
> blkfront
>>> driver included in the Debian kernel does actually set it.
>>
>> Depends what Xen version their kernel / userspace is based on. IIRC
> you
>> need to have at least Xen 3.1.1  to get 32-on-64 working properly -
> the
>> compatability 'protocol' stuff didn't make the original 3.1.0 release
>>

> I am using 3.1.1, but I think the Debian kernel is 3.1.0 vintage.

Which Debian Kernel?

The 2.6.18-5-xen-686/amd64 kernel is quite old and based on some redhat
kernel patch from around Xen 3.0.x.

It's definitly too old for mixing 64bit and 32bit machines (pv) up.

Please use a newer kernel for both dom0 and domU, if you need help with
that, let me know.