RE: [Xen-devel] write page table in user mode

To: "Tim Deegan" <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] write page table in user mode
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:13:13 +0800
Cc: "Su, Disheng" <disheng.su@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 06:15:12 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IMO, to avoid shadow-unshadow-reshadow loop, we can simply add
a check whether L1e for faulting IP falls into same page it tries to
update. This shouldn't interfere this heuristic much, since it only resides
in emulation logic and above check is easy to make.

>> OTOH it's arguable whether we care about running
>> VMware Workstation inside an HVM guest. :-)
>
>We could always fix the VPC performance instead and run VMware inside
>VPC inside Xen.

Wow, double nest virtualization. :-) One point I can come up is to keep
user experience if he is used to use VMware or VirtualPC. Whatever the
underlying 'box' is physical or not, that guy may just want to create multiple
nested VMs for his own usage, like test infrastrucure, etc. It would be
annoying for him to ask lower layer administrator for help, if this VM is
loaned. I bet usage on nested virtualization is unlikely to be performance
centric though...

Thanks,
Kevin