Re: [Xen-devel] [PATH] ioemu: use SIGHUP instead of SIGKILL

To: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [PATH] ioemu: use SIGHUP instead of SIGKILL
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 12:00:26 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 04:01:11 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/2/08 11:26, "Samuel Thibault" <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keir Fraser, le Mon 04 Feb 2008 11:21:02 +0000, a écrit :
>> Although this looks potentially reasonable, I'm not sure about the approach
>> of SIGHUPing a dom0 'proxy' process to kill an hvm stub domain. How hard
>> would it be to teach xend just enough about hvm stub domains to have it
>> directly kill the stub domain at the same time as it kills the normal hvm
>> domain?
>
> It also needs to know that it has to kill the VNC client, etc.

Okay, well let's go for SIGHUP for now. I am keen that 'xm destroy' should
be able to work regardless of any per-guest component failing however. It
really is a crappy user experience if you can get into situations wheere
even xm destroy doesn't help you. :-)

> That said, I'm wondering how to transmit the name of the stub domain.
> Could the device model for instance write it in xenstore ?

Well, the choice is yours in that respect. By name do you mean domid? If you
want to be able to trust that value then it needs to be written by the dom0
component that creates the domain.

 -- Keir