[Xen-devel] os-type and variant as hvm platform parameters?

To: "Xen-Devel (E-mail)" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] os-type and variant as hvm platform parameters?
From: "Dan Magenheimer" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:04:31 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:05:24 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Quoting from a different thread on timer_mode:

> IMHO what we want in the end is  a comprehensive list of
> "if you are running Windows 2003 SMP, use timer_mode X".
> "if you are running Linux x86_64 >2.6.16, timer_mode Y",
> etc.  I'm just not sure how to get there, though the
> "os-type" and "variant" parameters used by virt-install
> might be a good approach (add them as hvm params?)
> (cf. http://linux.die.net/man/1/virt-install)

I know there's been some discussion of related proposals
in the recent past, but thought I'd bring it up again:

Should os-type and variant be added as hvm platform parameters?
Virt-install (see link above), for example, uses the information
to improve ACPI, and timer_mode is another example where cognizance
of the OS being virtualized would be useful.  There may be more.

Perhaps they need not get propagated into the hypervisor
but if the information finds its way into xenstore, tools
may find it useful.

Comments?

Thanks,
Dan