Re: [Xen-devel] migration and restore?

To: "tgh" <wwwwww4187@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] migration and restore?
From: "Andre Przywara" <andre.przywara@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:16:31 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 04:19:12 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i read the code of migration, and i fail to find the counterpart code of migration , which deal with the restoration of VM in the destination node, and i read the code of /tools/libxc/xc_domain_restore.c ,but the function of xc_domain_restore() seems not to be the one for the migration, it seems not support the restore of the iterative copy of the VM memory state ,is it? or how does it deal with the work?

Maybe the missing pieces you are looking for are in the xend (Python) code? In line 205 (or so) in tools/pyhton/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py you will find the high level function "restore". This method calls XendDomainInfo.resume (line 446) and triggers the necessary actions here. Another file to look in is XendCheckpoint.py, here you'll find the method "restore" (line 154). Some Migration code is also in XendDomain.py. You can get more info if you enable debugging, do a live migration (to localhost) and look in xend.log for "Saving memory pages" or "Reloading memory pages". From here you will find the corresponding code (maybe by just grepping for the log message text). I found line 427 in xc_domain_restore.c, the code following this line deals with the restoring of the frames. From my perspective there is everything needed in there.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany