Re: [Xen-devel] tcp/udp checksum and bridging

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] tcp/udp checksum and bridging
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:27:09 +0000
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 17:27:33 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have a setup with a Linux PV DomU which is on the same bridge as a
> Windows DomU using the PV drivers which Andy and I have been developing.

Cool.  Glad to hear you're progressing well.

> When a tcp packet originates from anywhere but on the same bridge,
> everything is fine, but when the packet originates from a machine on the
> same bridge, the checksum is wrong.
>
> I think the problem is that the Linux DomU assumes that something else
> will do the checksum of the tcp packet, which is mostly correct unless
> the packet is only bridged and not routed...
>
> Any suggestions?

I believe the NETTXF_data_validated or NETTXF_csum_blank flags should be set
in the rx structure's flags in order to indicate that checksum has not been
done... Are you checking for this?

I'm not really very familiar with this code, this is just something I had a
vague recollection of existing and was therefore able to dredge up in the
code.  It's got a lot more complicated than I remember!

Cheers.
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!