[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] [QEMU-DM] Upgrade emulated

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-staging] [xen-unstable] [QEMU-DM] Upgrade emulated UART to 16550A.
From: "Trolle Selander" <trolle.selander@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:36:42 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:37:53 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=oEYE1iktiPzU7GnOn8ZHVQJ4rCi9Q852T4EnzOaCHOs=; b=nO4PDUKIZYCzxYpkjsYPrXTYJixUqWZzmw8nf+TkyNgOqGMOXyDBYqkhjeBjBz+qLWN9lkxyUekSRmNm4EufBazcld1+MThHBBDVE4BgVHpAHjhdey7ihy+XkiAgRipakrrXLcwz9tsgQFCB6rn/Imx8l9EXpjxfe4ZFwIi14r8=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Here's a patch based on Keir's idea. Let's hope this resolves the issue.
It also includes the termios.h & sys/ioctl.h include fix discussed earlier, since I didn't see that committed to xen-unstable yet.

On Dec 7, 2007 6:53 PM, Trolle Selander <trolle.selander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That sounds like a workable idea, at least for the non-phys-port case.

On Dec 7, 2007 6:43 PM, Keir Fraser < Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/12/07 17:21, "Alex Williamson" < alex.williamson@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 23:07 +0100, Trolle Selander wrote:
>> This patch fixes the issue. It also changes the name of an
>> inappropriately named timer.
>
> Hi Trolle,
>
>   Yes, with this patch, my HVM domain will eventually boot.
> Unfortunately it takes 2 minutes now to get through all the UART
> timeouts and get to the firmware menu.  Prior to the new 16550A UART
> driver, it took 10 seconds.  I think we need to do something smarter
> than drop characters after some number of timeouts.  We're doomed to
> terrible slowness anytime the console is disconnected that way.  Thanks,

Perhaps we should latch the first timeout and fast-drop bursts of characters
until the next character that is not immediately rejected?

 -- Keir