Re: [Xen-devel] Using VT-D to grant a Windows DomU access to aPCIExpress

To: "Guy Zana" <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Using VT-D to grant a Windows DomU access to aPCIExpress graphics card?
From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:07:39 -0500
Cc: Xen Developers <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Han, Weidong" <weidong.han@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 07:08:23 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=yg/loS8wtg0EVtO0nM2a3Q/M72HHIvV33wLGBG95qrM=; b=hrgieB3X5X+YkRz5tEkuH+MzCtqRu9CyC05YeC8Bu92XvBeLZMP38Uj3sgHB+0hzwIPSq/h6/TbbcD7lSuuwuBg90KfpPP21mKwAvUFP8osggrHLeAVS4deTwsAn1zWTrVxptxABfJUmK+qi8BmNyCkOmdx7XKbcq8+6b0WqQBM=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> If you are not working with the graphic's card driver then what you describe
> sounds feasible and may actually work.

I don't quite follow what you mean by "if you are notworking with the
graphics card driver", could you clarify it for me?  My hope would be
to use the normal Direct3D API to send work to the card through the
normal stack including the card's driver; but I would specify an
off-screen rendering target.  Or alternatively, I would specify an
on-screen rendering target but no monitor would actually attached to
the card.  Xen/Qemu would still present the normal Cirrus emulated
graphics card to the Windows DomU (but there would be nothing to back
it up so any writes to it would just be dropped?)

Thanks,
Dave