Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Scheduling groups, credit scheduler support

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Scheduling groups, credit scheduler support
From: Chris <hap10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:42:12 -0500
Cc: Derek Murray <Derek.Murray@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ncmike@xxxxxxxxxx, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 08:43:52 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Keir,

How would the disaggregated-dom0 domains be peers in anything other than a
conceptual boxes-on-a-powerpoint-slide sense?

At the most recent Xen Summit, Derek announced work to remove domain builder from dom0. Other projects removed Xenstore from dom0. Of course we can also remove device drivers from dom0 (although today they still require some attention from dom0). In certain combinations, I consider all of these decomposed components of dom0 to be peers -- in the scheduling sense and in terms of security policy and management operations.

In some cases (xenstore, device driver domains, domain builder, etc.), service domains don't have to be slave to a single master and can operate in a more generic client/server model. Further, I expect there to be less of a distinction between dom0 and domU components as decomposition progresses, so it's not fair to limit the discussion to existing dom0 components.

To rephrase, one part of my perspective is that a one-master/many- slaves model doesn't capture all of the possible relationships between domains. The other part is that group information can be useful to parts of the VMM in addition to the scheduler.

Cheers,
Chris