Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Next steps with pv_ops for Xen

To: dgm36@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Next steps with pv_ops for Xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:08:08 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Eduardo Habkost' <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Juan Quintela' <quintela@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Stephen C. Tweedie'" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Jan Beulich' <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Glauber de Oliveira Costa' <gcosta@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Chris Wright' <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'Gerd Hoffmann' <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:08:49 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Mark,
>
> > Maybe a change to the gntdev userspace API to allow batching
> > of mapping requests?
>
> Something along the lines of the following?

Just like that :-D

When you said "multiple syscalls per mapping" I assumed you meant that we'd
lose the batching you get by doing a mulicall.  If it's just a couple of
syscalls (plus, presumably a couple of hypercalls) per batch of mappings, my
gut says it's probably not going to hurt block performance.  My guts have
been wrong in (many!) ways before of course...

I guess the overhead *could* be reduced even more by just having a magic ioctl
that did all the mmap-ing stuff in one operation, but that'd probably be
really gross if it wasn't necessary!  And I doubt it'd make upstream very
happy...

We'll also be eliminating the overheads involved in having a blktap ring for
talking to userspace and having to move requests between that ring and the
real block ring, so there's some definite wins in overheads as well.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!