Re: [Xen-devel] ragarding xen in sles10

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ragarding xen in sles10
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 03:56:18 +0000
Cc: "P, Namitha" <Namitha.P@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:57:02 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

If you google around a bit you may find some backup scripts that people have
hacked up...  I can't think of a specific project you'd go to off the top of
my head.

> I am new to xen . I need to develop one project that will back up
> virtual machine from host. Is there any "script which will support this"
> in host. Or any script which is used to list files of virtual machines
> in the host..........please help me in this regards

You could parse the config file to figure out what disk files are used by the
VM.  Or you could use the xenstore-* (e.g. xenstore-ls) commands to read
details from Xenstore regarding what the paths of the virtual disks are.

Or, more simply, you could just adopt a naming strategy for your domain's
virtual disks based on their config file name / hostname.  And then just code
your backup scripts to understand that (e.g. domain with "hostname" has
config file /etc/xen/hostname and disk /vm-disks/hostname.disk).  It'll be
site-specific but if it works for you, that's what counts.

Personally, I just rsync backup the contents of /mnt/vm/, which contains all
my VM's virtual disks (having shut the VMs down first).  I also
rsync /etc/xen/ to my backup device.  This doesn't record which disk belongs
to which VM but it does make it easy to restore the whole lot at once (just
rsync them back).  If I ever need to restore a particular VM I can do it
manually without to much hassle.

Actually, I've been working on a much more advanced backup script for backing
up VMs in a home / smaller deployment environment.  I'm waiting on word from
my employers regarding whether I can release this publically.  For anyone
interested, there's some details at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~maw48/vm-backup-pictures/ - but don't hold your
breath for it to be released because it could take a long while to get
permission, if it's allowed at all.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.