[Xen-devel] Next steps with pv_ops for Xen

To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Next steps with pv_ops for Xen
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:05:25 +0000
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@xxxxxxxxxx>, Juan Quintela <quintela@xxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Tweedie <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Glauber de Oliveira Costa <gcosta@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:06:48 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I've been looking at the next steps to try to get Xen running fully on
top of pv_ops.  To that end, I've (just) started looking at one of the
next major jobs --- i686 dom0 on pv_ops.

There are still a number of things needing done to reach parity with
xen-unstable:

  x86_64 xen on pv_ops
  Paravirt framebuffer/keyboard
  CPU hotplug
  Balloon
  kexec
  driver domains

but it looks like these can largely proceed in parallel if desired.

My short-term goal with this is simply to come up with a first-pass
merge of the linux-2.6.18-xen.hg dom0 support into the current
kernel.org tree's pv_ops support.  No major refactoring in the first
pass, but absolutely no *-xen.c code copying.

I'm just starting this, but at least with the version magic check (see

        http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-11/msg00601.html

) out of the way, an SMP dom0 running pv_ops gets all the way through
start_kernel() and into rest_init() before dying with an unsupported cr0
write.  (I'm using direct console hypercalls for printk for now, full
xencons is not working yet.)

Current goal is to get as far as I can with the normal domU boot process
in a dom0 environment (getting console set up correctly, etc), before
starting to piece in the additional extra bits needed for dom0 startup
(mostly, but by no means exclusively, setup-xen.c).

I'm happy to put up a git tree for this once it gets anywhere.  We'd
need to decide which tree to track for that purpose --- Linus's, or
perhaps the tglx or mingo x86 merge tree might make more sense.

--Stephen