Re: [Xen-devel] Nowadays, does xen support multicore , such as cell or

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Nowadays, does xen support multicore , such as cell or not?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:56:02 +0000
Cc: weiming <zephyr.zhao@xxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hu <learn.hu@xxxxxxxxx>, tgh <wwwwww4187@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 08:56:43 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Short answer: I don't know if Xen will run on Cell at the moment, and I
suspect it wouldn't support all the advanced features of Cell yet.  But on
x86 multicore it should run OK.

Xen has always supported multiprocessor hardware on the host side.  I'm not
sure whether old versions of Xen would recognise modern multicore processors
(because I'm not entirely sure how they're present to the system software)
but I expect it probably would.

Current versions of Xen run happily on multicore x86 systems.  Since Xen 3.0,
PV guests can be SMP also so that can take advantage of multiple logical
processors (but they're not aware of threads vs cores vs packages so they're
not able to make more targetted process scheduling decisions or memory
allocation decisions based on this information).  Since a later revision in
the Xen 3 series, you can also run HVM guests in SMP mode.

Cell hardware is a different case for two reasons:
1) it's PPC based.  The PowerPC port of Xen is not as far along as the x86
port.  I don't know if the PPC port has been adapted for Cell yet, the last I
heard they were currently concentrating on PPC970 chips.
2) it's not conventional multicore, because the SPUs are a different
architecture to the PPC core and require separate management.  The hypervisor
would have to acquire the ability to manage and swap SPU state across
multiple virtual machines.  This is definitely doable, and I guess the IBM
guys may look at it at some point.  But it's a different task to supporting
SMP-style multipcore as is used on x86.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Mark

> I mean, does xen support hardware architecture such as cell ,or not?or
> does xen have plan for this support in the future?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steven Hu 写道:
> > What do you mean?
> > The CPU virtualization in xen is unique VCPU, and when use the cpuid,
> > xen mask the multi-core return value. We can change the function
> > vmx_do_cpuid to cheat OS that the multi-vcpus is multi-vcore.
> >
> > 2007/11/8, tgh <wwwwww4187@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> hi
> >>    Nowadays,does xen support multicore ,such as cell or others?or does
> >> xen plan to support it in the future?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!