Re: [Xen-devel] How to compile a module for dom0 or domU kernel?

To: "Akio Takebe" <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How to compile a module for dom0 or domU kernel?
From: "Anand Gupta" <xen.mails@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:26:10 +0530
Cc: ashutosh mehra <ashutosh.xen@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 04:56:51 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=sXPByW3drLYIoLFgJ37l6v01NsGzTaYunPsUBoBVWPE=; b=ODoNdVzBJ3pm37eexrADnJc0NtaodCfVK+IhPFEZG5BKudCzgNl3xpE7je/Cv5Ilas0nRiAOseq7bsb0JMiqn651Xe0eh0trr7hGYwjKYXEN3+XlFZrml4LiY2P9CQ4xN7oNNO6juHsL16lCAVMpHAEscJM0uyD2C/GvdHRuJGk=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is there a method which i can use to compile a raid card driver inside the dom0 kernel ? I have been trying to get centos5 bundled xen working on a quad core dual xeon 1.86 where the hard drivers are running raid 1 on a hardware raid card (areca). To be able to boot up, i need to compile the areca drivers inside the kernel. When i go to /usr/src/kernel source, and try to issue a make oldconfig, it works, however next make command gives errors.

Any ideas on how it can be resolved ?

On 10/31/07, Akio Takebe <takebe_akio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

>I am trying to create a new module for a domU kernel (which FYI, includes
>the xen/xenbus.h header file), but I'm unable to figure out how to compile
>it. What should be the command and the Makefile for compiling the module? I
>tried compiling it like a linux kernel module, but I guess I didn't give the
>correct path. None of the paths I tried with -C worked.
Did you use different vmlinuxs between dom0 and domU?
If using the same vmlinux, you can compile it on dom0 with the same way as linux.
For example, like the below.
"make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` V=1 modules"

If no, I think you should be able to use like the below.
"make -C /home/hoge/xen-unstable.hg/build-linux-2.6.18-xenU_ia64 M=`pwd` V=1
modules"

Best Regards,

Akio Takebe

regards,